COLEMAN/FLEETWOOD FOLDING TRAILERS
IN THE UK
THIS WEBSITE IS FOR UK ENQUIRIES ONLY
INFORMATION ON COLEMAN/FLEETWOOD TRAILERS IMPORTED INTO THE UK BY COLEMAN UK & C.C.C. PRODUCTS FROM 1980-84 & 1989-2000
For non UK enquiries please reference: www.colemantrailers.com
We will not reply to Non-UK enquiries
My name is Graham Masters. I worked alongside Coleman UK between 1981 & 1984 to promote Coleman Camping Trailers. I attended the Earls Court Shows with Coleman UK & also ran the Coleman Camper Club for fifteen years. After Coleman UK stopped importing trailers in1984, I continued to service & repair them alone. I then worked for C.C.C. Products to reintroduce the trailers into the UK at Coleman's request. After the closure of C.C.C. Products in 2005, I continued to provide backup from Wimbledon Park Garage in Southsea. I do have some spare parts in stock, but can no longer obtain any more parts from the factory in the USA.
The Coleman Trailer company was sold to Fleetwood Enterprises during 1990 but were still sold under the Coleman name until the mid nineties.
For information on Coleman/Fleetwood Folding Trailers please contact me on: 02392 828430 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE. There were no trailers officially imported into the UK between 1984-1989.
Models imported by Coleman UK 1980-84. (All models 6'10” wide). All are hard tops with slide out beds.
1980 Gettysburg 9' box. 6 berth. Very heavy trailers with high hitch weight B&B running gear. Most parts unavailable.
1980Brandywine 11' box 8 berth B&B running gear. Most parts unavailable
Late 1980 Cruiser 7' box First of the lightweight? Trailers.Very basic.
81-83 Colorado 7' box Improved Cruiser. UK cooker & grill.
81-82 Missouri 9' box Replaced Gettysburg. UK cooker & grill
81-82 Williamsburg 11' box (Replaced Brandywine) 8 berth. Shower/ hot water heater
83-84 Missouri 3 9' box Replaced Missouri 2. 6 berth
83-84 Dakota 7' box. 4 berth. Basic but popular entry level trailer 3 berth
All of these trailers had European running gear, either ALKO or FTF, but Missouri 3 & Dakota retained US 20.5x8x10 wheels & tyres.
The above trailers are now very old, & most of them need a lot of money spent on them due to neglect & old age, although obviously there are exceptions. You can easily spend in excess of £500 just to get them roadworthy, much more than the value of the trailer. Be warned.
What to look for:
- Weak hitch dampers. Try to push the hitch in with your foot. If it goes in easily, or if there is a thump up the back of the car when braking, a new damper is required.
- At the same time, a weak damper should make the trailer brakes lock on. If they don't, the brakes are probably not working properly. Is the hitch working at all?. I have seen them completely seized. Try turning it.
- Are the brakes working?. (See above).
- Get under the trailer. There are four cables running from each corner to the center. Are they dry or rusty. If so, they could be weak or ready to break. If they are greasy, could be OK.
- Have a very close look at the tyres. The treads will probably look OK, but check for cracks or damage. It's recommended they are changed about every five years.
- Check the roof from the outside. Are there any holes through damage or corrosion? Does the roof wind up OK. Have a good inspection of the roof interior. Is it solid or soft with damp. If damp, it could be weak where the canvas fits to the sidewalls. It would be unusual for a roof of this age not to have been repaired in some way. If so, how good is the repair?
- The canvas itself tends to last a long time, but the stitching holding it together doesn't. It's a difficult expensive job to restitch it.
- Above all, don't be blinded by the fact that it's a nice cheap camping unit. It's mechanically very complicated, & has to be roadworthy by law. On no account buy a trailer without winding the roof up & inspecting the interior. If the roof doesn't wind up, walk away.
MODELS IMPORTED BY C.C.C.PRODUCTS BETWEEN 1989-2000
These were converted to UK specification in force at the time to factory approval. All personnel were factory trained in the USA.
Ways to check if it has factory approval:
All trailers 6'10” wide, with two slide out beds & hard roof. Berths include slide out beds plus interior beds.
- The hitch will sit between the 'A' frame chassis members.
- It will use original leaf springs to mount the axle. The cables for lights & interior, (12n& 12s sockets), will run inside the left hand 'A' frame chassis member.
- Non genuine trailers usually mount the hitch on top of the 'A' frame, (It's easier), & use independent rubber mounted axles, This results in the trailer being very high from the ground.
- Cables will usually be run outside chassis frame & under the floor. Again it's easier to do
1989-90 Columbia 7' box . 5 berth 2 double slide outs
1989-90 Newport 9' box. 5 berth 2 double beds
1989-90 Chesapeake 11' box. 1 double, 1 Queen bed. Max 7 berth
1990-92 Sun Valley 9' box 6 berth 2 double beds
1990 Shenandoah 11' box 7 berth 1 double 1 queen bed
1991 Laramie 9' box “ Doubles. 4 berth
1992-94 Sequoia 11' box 7 berth 1 double 1 Queen bed
1991-93 Williamsburg 11' box 8 berth 1 double 1 Queen bed Shower. Hot water
1992-93 Grandview 9' 6” box 1 Queen bed only. Bay window instead of bed at one end.
1993-94 Four Seasons 11' box. Solid sides with normal canvas slide out beds. 5 berth
1993-95 Arcadia 11' box 1 double 1 queen. 6 berth. Shower. Hot water
1994-95 Royale 10' box 1 double 1 Queen 6 berth
1996 Sedona 8' box 2 double beds 5 berth. Large storage trunk at front
1999 Taos 8' box 2 double beds 5 berth
Trailers 7'5” wide from 1996 onwards. 10' & 12' box trailers used one piece roof, & some 10' models had a large storage trunk on the 'A' frame. In 1999 we supplied a special order trailer with 12' box, storage trunk & a slide out side. (Bayside).
1996 Yukon 10' box 1 double bed, 1 Queen 7 berth Wrap round settee, storage trunk
1997 Sea Pine 10' box 1 Double 1 Queen 7 berth (High hitch weight)
1998-2000 Redwood 8'6” box. 1 Double 1 Queen bed
1996-2000 Sun Valley* 12' box 2 Queen beds. Wrap round settee with separate dinette. Huge storage area & worktop. 9 berth
1999 Mesa Renamed 97 Sun Valley.
*Not to be confused with 1992 Sun Valley
These are only a small selection of models available in the USA, & chosen for the specific reason that they were most suitable to be towed by UK vehicles of the time.
In addition, we have also converted some self imported trailers for customers to the same specification to our own, & can be identified in the same way. Likewise, there are some which we call, Grey imports, & these are probably best avoided.
All of our trailers used UK running gear, with parts available in the UK. This includes all trailer lights legally required & most electrical items. The US tyres, (20.5 x 8 x 10), fitted to some models can be obtained in the UK, despite what some tyre dealers tell you.
These trailers last for many many years if looked after. Servicing is very important for safety reasons & for the long life of the trailer. These service items are listed in the owners handbook.
The main faults I come across are cracked, damaged, tyres, damp roofs, & faulty brakes, in that order, but please refer to the notes on the earlier trailers.
I have some parts in stock. When these have been depleted they will become unavailable. I cannot send a list of parts. Please tell me what you want - I may have it.
For parts or information, contact me on: 02392 828430, normal working hours, Mon-Fri. Email email@example.com
These comments are intended as a guide only, and I cannot be held responsible for any problems or faults encountered as a result of using this information.